There are several aspects to take into account to educate your dog, in the process of dog training. The most common confusion people experience has to do with knowing when to reward and when to punish your dog. If you are one of those who has this problem, the following tips will be very useful to you.
You’ve probably heard that to train your dog you should always maintain a positive atmosphere, but in reality, it is necessary to be a little strict at times. However, you should not punish him too often, as dogs always react positively if they receive positive treatment from their trainer K9 training Houston.
Therefore, first of all, it is important that you know when to reward your pet , here we leave you 5 useful tips to train your dog:
- You must reward your dog every time he obeys a command during the training process. You should reward him if he sits, if he stays still, if he brings you an object, if he relieves himself in the right place, or if he does anything you tell him to do.
- The reward can be of different kinds: praise, affectionate words, treats, caresses on his tummy, or pats on his head.
- Positive dog training helps speed up the learning process. What your dog wants is to please you and that is why he will respond better to this type of teaching. But make sure you don’t keep rewarding him when he doesn’t obey your commands.
- Punishment should only be given if the situation warrants it. You can reprimand your dog if he jumps, barks, growls, pulls on the leash, breaks objects , or if he relieves himself where he shouldn’t. However, do not reprimand your dog unless you catch him doing something inappropriate. Otherwise, he will not know the reason for the punishment. A short, forceful “NO!” That should be scolding enough.
- You should have a strong, firm tone of voice and make sure the punishment is clear and brief, but if the scolding is too frequent, your dog will eventually begin to ignore you. Never hit your dog, we must avoid physical corrections, since the only thing we will achieve is that our dog will be fearful. Dogs do not learn through violence , on the contrary, this can be counterproductive.
Both rewards and punishments must be done at the same time the dog does the action, otherwise our dog will not understand why. Animals don’t understand more things because we yell at them more. Patience, firmness and perseverance are three essential qualities when training a dog.
There are a few things you should keep in mind when praising or scolding your dog. Don’t forget that your pet has just begun learning and that she is doing her best. Therefore, you must be very patient. If you are loving and understanding, your dog will learn very easily and, in the end, it will be a wonderful experience for both of you.